Monday, December 31, 2012

Health Benefits To Owning A Pet


I have 2 dogs. A 3 year old Husky named Calla and a 4 year old German Shepard, Border Collie, Husky mix named Scout.  Both have a lot of energy and both drive me absolutely crazy; but without them in my life, I honestly believe that I would be suffering from some weird, incurable, anxiety ridden disease. My girl, Calla has this innate ability to make me laugh so hard that my stomach hurts and my boy, Scout, is always by my side if I'm feeling low. They are my constant loyal and faithful companions.

There is a lot of truth behind owning a pet and reeping the health benefits from it as well though. In fact, there is about 25 years worth of research behind the benefits of pet ownership and the effect they have on our overall health and wellness. Besides the obvious health benefits of lowered blood pressure, decreased anxiety, increased immune system function, owning a pet also helps with your dating life!! As a matter of fact, the reason my boyfriend and I first went out was because I asked him out for a "doggy date". Three and a half years later, we have a beautiful 16 month old son, named Kaynen to add to our mix of daily chaos. I like to think of my dogs as my sanity savers however. Aside from the fact that yes, Scout sticks his head into the garbage can all too often to eat the leftovers and Calla chews up every toy that belongs to Kaynen, when I hook them up to their leashes and take them out for their daily walk,  an inner calm takes over and all the little hiccups from the day disappear. That right there is the first item on the list of health benefits to which owning a pet can do for you.

Natural De-stressor: When our bodies stay in a state of stress, we enter into a "dis-eased state". This is the state where harmful chemicals like norepinephrine and cortisol start to negatively effect our immune system. People who own animals, when tested, have shown that when in the act of "play"mode, have higher levels of serotonin and dopamine which are known to have pleasurable and calming effects on the body and mind thereby decreasing the chances a person may suffer from depression and high blood pressure.

Heart happy: Another reason to own a pet - they are good for the heart. Heart attack patients who own a pet live longer than those who don't. How does this happen? Male pet owners have lower levels of triglycerides and cholesterol levels which can contribute to heart disease.

Date magnets: If your dating life is in the dumps - owning a pet is a great way to increase your chances of a making a love connection. If you've walked down the street lately and seen someone with a new puppy, what's the first thing you want to do? Stop and meet the puppy of course!! Naturally, conversation with the owner will follow and making a connection, whether a love connection or otherwise can begin. In fact, psychologists say that owning a pet decreases an individuals risk of social isolation and shyness. All the more reason to get outside and go for a walk, you never know who you are going to meet!

Allergy deterrents: If you have ever come across someone who said to you "I'm allergic to animals" you can be pretty sure that that person did not grow up with an animal in the household. Dogs are dirty animals, and studies are now showing that infants who have a greater exposure to dirt and allergens also have stronger, healthier immune systems. I can attest to this; my son is 16 months old and has been sick only twice. Will I stop the dogs from licking his face? Most definitely not.

Workout buddy extraordinaire: Let's face it, a pet can be a great workout partner! Never the one to tell you "don't eat that!" or worse yet, "those jeans make you look fat", they are always ready and willing to go outside for a walk or run. It's not only good for your health but the health of your pet as well. And remember, a happy, healthy pet means less vet bills for you. :)

Sometimes I wonder what my house would be like if I didn't have my dogs. First off, it would definitely be a lot quieter! But then I think, who wants that much quiet to begin with? Won't I get all the quiet I can ask for when I'm six feet under? I won't lie, owning a pet is a lot of responsibility. You are in fact raising a furry beast to co exist peacefully amongst society and it is not meant to be an easy task. All the ups and downs that I have had while raising my dogs have truly helped me become a humble, happy and healthy person. I am grateful to my dogs for allowing me to be their owner.

To all that will read this blog, Cheers to Your Health and have a Safe and Happy New Year!

Until next week,

Katerina
Health and Wellness
GEM Magazine LI

No comments:

Post a Comment